Wednesday, May 11, 2011

New York Beauty - Update

Back in March I posted the first 4 blocks as I attempted to make a New York Beauty quilt.
I have to admit, I wasn't sure if those were going to be the only blocks that got done.
Like I stated in March - not hard to do, but what I didn't mention is that accuracy is vital.

For those who know me, my sewing is never accurate... I am known for the "Variable Block Size"
Once when making a log cabin quilt my blocks ranged from 9 3/4" to 11 1/4"... and I really thought they would work. I'm considerably better now, but still not perfect. The first 4 blocks you saw in March had to be taken apart and re-sewn. At that point I was sure I would never continue with this project. Becky showed me what the problem was, I corrected it and
the truth is, I'm lovin' it. I wish I had the time to just work on it til' it was done.
I laid these out at the shop so I could take this photo and show you how much I have accomplished. I think I've actually surprised myself.

16 out of 36 blocks are done so far. I work on it whenever I get a minute. It's on my dining room table, so I can just sit down and do a little. Poor Jeff is probably getting tired of eating around spikes, cutters, mats and the machine. He's pretty much a "go with the flow" kind of guy so he hasn't said much. Face it, he's the husband of a quilter....



No comments: