Friday, May 20, 2011

Great "Scrap User-Upper".

I was visiting my Mother yesterday and the gift shop at her Nursing Home was open. She and I went in to see all the new Spring things they had for sale.

On the floor in the corner was this little chair and one a little larger. I immediately knew what I was going to do with it.. and what Becky would do with the other one. So to the cashier I went with my two new treasures in hand.

After my visit with my Mother, I headed to the shop to give Becky hers and I headed home.

My chair is only 10" high and 5" wide. The seat is made of jute. I didn't measure the other one but it's probably 12" or 13" high and 6" or 7" wide.


Both are perfect for Miniature quilts. Especially "Civil War". The black paint is perfect to compliment that era.

Once I got home I found the box in my sewing room that has all the tiny scraps from various projects. I usually throw out everything... I've never been a tiny scrap saver. I was afraid I may have gotten rid of the box but it was in the cabinet.

Now to find the size scrap that would make the right size circle. I needed at least 2". I traced around my template and cut out an assortment.

I like to make yo-yo's. I don't use a yo-you maker, I do it the old fashioned way.

I made up 20 so I could see if it was going to be the right size and look good on the chair.

These are sewn together, I think it's going to take 4 or 5 rows to get the right proportion.

They ended up being approx 1" when done.







Here's what the two rows look like on the chair. I'll make up the additional yo-yo's and it should be really cute.

Becky hasn't said what she's planning to do with hers. I can guarantee it'll be more involved then this one. Becky excels at miniatures.

Mine should be done by next week and will be in the shop. This is a great way to use up your miscellaneous scraps. Find a little chair and make a miniature quilt to fit it. Cute idea for a decoration, or a gift for a friend.

No comments: