Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day one

This may just be rambling but it's thoughts that have been going through my head all night. I just wanted to put them down on paper.

Yesterday was the first day of our sale. I guess I didn't realize how this was going to effect everyone close to us. I knew it was going to be hard on my staff and myself, but the wonderful customers  we think of as friends - are equally saddened.

Some of my staff and I have been together for 12 years, others range from 9 down. That's longer than alot of marriages last. Same holds true for our regulars... those are the loyal customers who stop in on a weekly basis to see what's new or just to chat. One in particular that I am going to miss is Nancy G. I look forward to our conversations and love her quick wit. I don't want to slight anyone by not mentioning your name - I will truly miss each and every smile that has come through the door and made a difference in my life.

One thing that I have to say, other shop owners have also been a fantastic support system. I know that customers think that shop owners are in competition and don't get along. I can tell you that I have made some of the best friends just being in our Twin Cities Shop Hop group. For 15 years I've been fortunate to be part of their group and can tell you - we all get along wonderfully and they have given me inspiration and help all along the way.

I have been asked what my plans are for the future. At this point I just want to get this part of my story taken care of and then take a little time to decompress. Many of you know that I am experiencing memory problems - that is my first order of business. I am going to find out what the cause of that is, and go from there. My sister is in the process of opening a new business... who knows, that may be where my ship lands. One thing for sure - what ever I do, can't possibly be as interesting and unpredictable as this. Like Forest Gump said .... Owning a Quilt shop is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get. (OK, so he kinda said that). Every day has been different - no two ever the same.

I have rambled on enough - have a quilty kind of day.

Later
Patti



2 comments:

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Patti, I wish you the best in this new journey. I haven't been in the shop since we moved out here to Henderson. I used to stop in often when I would have to take my husband to the airport/work (we lived in Prior Lake, he worked in Eagan). I did a lot of miniature projects and I loved to come in and buy a big bundle of your remnants. I remember one visit with my friend Arlis when we both bought the book "Teach Yourself Blocks from the Past". That's a good memory for me and I'm sure others have many good memories, too. I have had some health issues the last couple of years that got rather serious this past winter. I got answers, had some surgery, and got good care. Everything else went "on the back burner" but now I'm feeling better. Take care of you right now and soon you may be helping that sister in her new shop!

mimi'sdarlins said...

Hi, Patti,
I couldn't believe how many customers were in the shop yesterday when I arrived, thinking I'd get an early start. You had opened just twenty minutes prior, yet the parking lot was full. There were tears, not quite the usual chatter and gaiety. I have to say it was a bittersweet visit, knowing this was the last time I'd have the pleasure of shopping in your oh-so-friendly neighborhood quilt shop. You provided a lovely atmosphere for your customers, and you and your staff will be missed.