Thursday, March 17, 2011

Hand or Machine Applique - which would you do?

While browsing different blogs and facebook entries I came across this photo. It's by "A Quilty Kind of Girl". She asked the question - Would you applique the outer edge by hand or machine?

I've always wanted to learn to do hand applique. My specialty has always been fusible. I love to blanket stitch by hand, so I fuse the applique's and just stitch around them. In February, I started doing a block of the month and it has both pieced and appliqued blocks. I'm having a lot of fun working on it, but really would like to learn to do traditional needle turn so I'd have the option of either one.

When you're in the shop and see the wonderful wall hangings and even dresden plate potholders - they were all done by Becky. She excels at needle turn and teaches it for us. Right now, she's making a wonderful quilt for her granddaughter, it's a combination of applique and embroidery. It makes me want to take her class and learn the correct way.

I may just try my hand at this dresden plate and make a pillow... start small and if I enjoy it, then maybe a larger project.

Thanks to Quilty Kind of Girl for the picture and inspiration. Hopefully, I'm going to learn to applique.

Patti P.




No comments: