Friday, December 12, 2008

My first post.

Well, this will be the first time I have ever blogged. I am sitting here, looking into my living room at the cutest Christmas tree. Becky and Theresa from the shop surprised me with it. It stands about 5'6" and is REAL. This is a first for me. I have had an artificial tree for years. Never again................ The fragrance is wonderful. It takes me back to when I was a child in Boston at my Grandparents. That was when Christmas was fantastic. I decorated the tree today with plaid ribbon gently woven through the branches, clear tiny lights and shiny red ornaments. I think I need to get more ornaments, a few spots are lacking. It is simple but really festive. This was a wonderful gift and I really appreciate it. They also gave me a dusty rose poinsettia which is sitting on my mantle and looks lovely.

Now to change to a more serious subject. . .

I sent out an email this morning to everyone on my mail list about the theft of two large quilts and a pillow case that were taken from the shop. Sad, but true. I have received many emails back about the subject and I want to say "Thank You". I am glad that you were not offended by the note; I just want to get it out there and, hopefully, it will be received by the person responsible for taking the missing items.

I have worked hard since I bought the shop to try to make it a place where our customers feel welcome and more like friends. The comments I hear on a daily basis confirm that the changes are noticed and appreciated. Some of the changes made were to incorporate antiques on which we could display quilted items, adding homey touches, and give the place a comfy atmosphere. Well, putting the quilts and other items out front where they can be reached is proving to be costly. For instance, the bench on the sidewalk... we displayed a nice vintage quilt on it with a book and some flowers. That was to welcome you to the shop and to try to give the "strip mall" look a little warmth. That lasted only a week before the quilt was taken. Now quilts are being taken off the antiques and from behind the counter. I don't know what to say.

I was brought up believing that if it was not yours don't touch it. The thought would never cross my mind - especially when it is a handmade item that comes from the maker’s heart (not to mention the expense out of their pocket). Taking these items was mean and nasty. I still think quilter's are an honest, trustworthy group of people. However, it's sad to think that among us is someone calling their selves a quilter that does not fit into either of those categories.

Well, that's it for tonight. Maybe I will have something more interesting next time.

Be Safe
Patti

No comments: